Sunday, February 29, 2004

Ooooh...I Forgot It Was Time For the Razzies

As usual, the selections and winners didn't surprise me. I have not seen Gigli, but it must have been, no, WAS (just read the description in the article) craptastic to get six Razzies...no shock considering it was a J-Lo movie (I'm not sure, but I want to say Maid In Manhattan got a Razzie or two).

But my favorites of the selections and winners only got one Razzie and/or a lot of nominations...

Worst Supporting Actor - Sylvester Stallone for Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (Based on what I heard about the overall plot and 3-D "effects", I am surprised if that didn't get nominated for the Worst Movie and/or Worst Sequel categories.)

Worst Remake/Sequel - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (You know it's bad when Jay Leno is promoting it like there is no tomorrow. Obviously, I'm more of a Letterman fan...the only thing Leno has going for him is the Headlines.)

Most Nominated Movie - From Justin to Kelly (While I said the selections didn't surprise me...the fact that this, voted one of the worst movies EVER by the Internet Movie Database, didn't win in at least one category is rather perplexing.)

And last, but certainly not least...

Worst Excuse For A Movie - The Cat In the Hat (THANK YOU! I'll never forget the nauseaous feeling I had when it was announced that they were going to make a real action version of the children's classic. Cat In the Hat is one of those stories that should be animated AND ANIMATED ONLY. I don't know what frightens me more, the Cat In the Hat character's costume and makeup (How on Earth did they think THAT could appeal to little kids?! Heck, I'm twenty years old, and THAT gives me the willies.) or the person wearing the costume and makeup, Mike Myers. While I'm a fan of Mike Myers, and enjoy his characters, especially Wayne and Austin Powers; whoever gave Myers the role of the Cat should be kicked. A children's version of Austin Powers is an oxymoron if there ever was one...as 2,151 IMDB users could tell you. Another thing that hurt the movie was that it was too long...even at eighty minutes. And a general rule of thumb is that if a movie runs under ninety minutes, chances are it's awful. Another classic example of that rule is Wayne's partner, Dana Carvey's Master of Disguise. The claim is its running time is eighty minutes too, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was barely sixty-five minutes. Ouch.

Of course, it also does not help that as great a children's book as it is, The Cat In the Hat just didn't have enough material for a full length movie. Other than the fuddy-duddy of a fish, who else would have made a good villain to carry out the rest of the movie? The parents? They would just be more fuddy-duddy than the fish.

With that said, maybe if they had gotten a decent AND more creative writer, The Cat In the Hat *could* have been good. Look at Jumanji, that was a children's book turned into a full length movie, and it RULED. Of course, they also had a great actor in Robin Williams (One of my most favorite actors, actually, and he proved why in the said movie)...not that Mike Myers is bad, but there is a difference, a BIG ONE, when you give an actor a role that suits them best.)
|