Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Good Bye Mr. Chips

Ron Francis is now a Toronto Maple Leaf. ;.(

Alright, now that I have cooled down...my thoughts:

I am royally p*ssed but also understand at the same time. What pees me off? The tripe Ronnie said about already having two Cup rings and because of that, not having his bags packed and all. I hand it to my overall fave (Yes, believe it or not, Francis is still my favorite NHL player historically and overall), he had me and the Caniac Nation fooled. And in that regard, I cannot help but be a wittle angry with Ron.

BUT at the same time, I actually understand why Ronnie went to T.O.. And here's why...

1. Let's face it, if the Canes got the Cup in 2002, Ronnie would have retired, pure and simple. Having a lot of class and such *really* wouldn't stop many from wanting to end on a real happy note, obviously not even Ron. Even if it means playing for an often hated team like the Maple Leafs.

2. With that said, like them or not, the Leafs were Ronnie's favorite team growing up...along with the Bruins, because of Phil Esposito (who, as Ron mentioned in an interview, was his favorite player during his youth). Even though he's never really made it known until now, Ron apparently has had dreams of winning a Cup with and/or even just playing for his favorite team. And in all honesty, who wouldn't dream of playing for their favorite team?

3. Many are going to disagree and have already disagreed with me on this...but in a way, Ronnie has actually helped the Canes with his being moved. We got a fourth round pick for the 2005 draft, which IIRC, was what we somewhat got (obviously for a different draft) in exchange for Glen Wesley when we traded him to the Leafs last season. And THEN, I seem to also recall that there was talk of Wes considering retirement. When a player retires, what do we get? That's right, nothing. Speaking of retirement, who says Ronnie won't do that as a Cane? Just like there is no guarantee that Wes would remain a Leaf, there is no guarantee that Francis will remain a Leaf.

4. The fourth round pick screams "rent a player" to me. If Ronnie talked of going to the Leafs for more than a Cup run, I expect JR to have gone for more than just a fourth round pick. Again, this is so eerily similar to what happened to Wes, it's scary in what may hopefully turn out to be a good way.

and....

5. Why did we do the "rent a player" thing with Wes last season? That's right. He was an Unrestricted Free Agent. And again, IIRC, he had a no trade clause that he waived. Just like you-know-who. I'll admit that I have done a good job hiding it...but I could not help but be a tiny bit concerned about Ronnie going to another team during the offseason with his being an UFA IF he decided to not retire. Sure he had a no trade clause, but he could have waived it off then like he did today.

Writing all of this has made me feel a little better...but I still can't help but still be sad and angry. I usually am very insensitive to trades, but Ronnie, well, means a lot to me and the Caniac Nation. Many are debating being a fan of the team after such a trade. There are some who are even debating being a fan of hockey, all because of Ron Francis and all he has done for the Canes, Pens, and their communities throughout his career. And folks, you know a player is quite special when fans of other teams, namely the Pens contingent, convert to being Caniacs because of him. Ronnie even has me being a Pens fan historically because of their having used to be the only other NHL team for which he played. Will I now become a Leafs fan because of Ron? Heck no. Will I still be a fan of the Canes. Yes, to the bloody, bitter end. Will Ron still and always be my favorite player? Believe it or not, yes. And in that regard, I wish him, not the Leafs, best in his quest for a third cup. I realize hockey is a team sport, but on a team with zero class, Ronnie is more than a perfect ten...whether or not that is the number he bears. Shame he won't be bearing that and/or especially a C...two things my own jersey shall keep bearing in honor of a good player and man, regardless of whose ranks he joins.

BTW, one of my LetsGoCanes allies, PhilEsposito, couldn't have put my actual feelings about the Leafs more concise...

"I hate the Leafs because of their fans, not their players, although a world without Domi would be a good thing."

Just also insert Belfour, Marchment, Mogilny, and Tucker in that comment about Domi, and that's perfect.
|