Tuesday, April 13, 2004

A Real Eye Open...er, Closer

It happened a couple of months ago, but I just found out today that The Eye (official Carolina Hurricanes store) at the Triangle Town Center is kaput. :( While the prime locations at Crabtree Valley Mall and the RBC Center are still alive and kickin', it kind of breaks my heart to see the most convenient location (and obviously one I visited the most) gone. Had some good times chatting with a worker friend at the TTC Eye. Unfortunately, while it's a real blow to me, the TTC Eye's closing (which happened in or around February) is *really* not all that surprising...they never got any business, other than me and the players who picked up their jerseys. When I used to hang out there for an hour or two and chat with my worker friend almost every Friday night throughout the Spring and Summer of last year, at least three-five customers would come in. My friend said those were the most customers they had all day. It didn't help that the Eye's location was not the best...it was outside the entrance to Belk's, which one would think would get a lot of traffic. But, the most traffic the TTC Eye ever saw was when Ron Francis was at the grand opening of Belk's...and according to my friend, more stuff was stolen for Ronnie to sign than bought. >:( Anyway, I cannot help but feel that had the TTC Eye been near or right next to the Food Court, just like The Eye at Crabtree Valley Mall, it might have just done better. But who knows? A lot of stores at Triangle Town Center are not doing well, the economy and certain locations (like where The Eye was...at least one or two other stores are permanently closed there too) are eating various stores in the mall alive.

R.I.P. TTC Eye...how I knew and loved thee.
|