Thursday, May 06, 2004

The Ronnie Watch - May 6th, 2004

Well, according to this morning's N&O, Ronnie was scratched because of a back injury. If that really is true, then I take back some of my rant below...though, it still sucks that his career will possibly end with having to sit in the pressbox for the final playoff game. :(

Also mentioned is what has been the same old song and dance for the last couple of seasons in that Ronnie is indecisive over the future of his career.

And now TSN.ca is mentioning the back injury...

According to Sportsline.ca, Ronnie is contemplating staying around for another NHL season. Again, nothing really new and so far very reminiscent of the last couple of post-seasons...

May 7th, 2004

And yet another article where Ronnie says he's going to have to think about playing vs. retiring. I cannot help but like this quote...

"I'll do what I usually do, go home and spend a month with my family. ... It's been a couple of months since I've seen them."

It's not often that you hear or see a NHL player talk about their family like that. And that's why I cannot help but always have respect for Ron Francis...as this further proves:

"My family has suffered enough with my playing schedule for the past sixteen years. Professional hockey is not as glamorous as many people might like to believe. There is a lot of travel involved and large amounts of time spent away from your family. All things considered, I have no beefs. But I missed my daughter's first steps and first words. Those are things you can't make up for." - From For the Love of Hockey, circa 1996/97.

With those words and such, how on Earth anyone can diss this dude is beyond me. But unfortunately, people still do...as this ditty shows. I hate telling Tom-bo and the few easily amused by that, but Ronnie never really whined as a Leaf. As a matter of fact, not counting the press conference when he came to Toronto, the only thing ever uttered by Ron as a Leaf that I can recall was a comment about how incredible the crowd was at a game in Montreal. Not really whining, if you ask me. But whatever...keep it up y'all, you're just making the Caniac Nation look no better than the very T.O. and Detroit faithful that are often and more deservedly the butt of such jokes.
|