Saturday, May 01, 2004

Some Horrible News: Another Update

Well, I finally got to see my grandmother today. Her progress had been going downhill...she had a stroke Wednesday or Thursday due to incredibly high blood pressure (Over 200!!), and that affected her brain stem, causing her to be paralyzed on her left side. :(: And yesterday morning, the doctors told my dad on the phone that various parts of my grandmother's body, like her kidneys, were shutting down. BUT today, she is doing much better...her kidneys are functioning ok, and they took her off the ventilator for a little bit to see how she would do. And so far, my grandmother has breathed pretty good without the ventilator. She's still on the ventilator, but the nurse told us that it was not on as strong as the past couple of days.

My grandmother was very, very delighted to see me. She cannot talk, but she kept squeezing my hand and was very responsive to my presence. I plan to go see her tomorrow...

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers everyone...I told my grandmother about them, and she squeezed my hand the hardest she could and opened her eyes as wide as she could. The poor woman's eyes...they were so bruised, but are in the process of healing. My dad said that her eyes a few days were a horrible black and blue mess... :(

Yet Another Update as of May 2nd, 12:12 am: Well...my grandmother just died. :( The hospital called around 11:30, and said they had completely taken out the ventilator like they said they would, and my grandmother immediately gave out. It turns out that the stroke I mentioned earlier had affected her breathing and gag reflex.

Needless to say, I feel lucky to have seen her when I did. But at the same time, I feel devastated...especially after walking away, feeling like she just might have had a chance. :(
|