Monday, March 06, 2006

Here's To Pissing Off Some Canes Fans

(Regarding the title...you want something wholesome and/or kid friendly? Go read a Family Circus treasury.)

I was really going to avoid talking about the Erik Cole/Brooks Orpik issue, because apart from wanting Erik to have a safe recovery...NOT a quick recovery, a fractured neck is something that needs time to heal if the player hopes to keep his career; I *really* do not know how to feel about the now infamous hit. And the reasons for that being...

1. I happen to also be a Penguins fan, out of my Ronnie Francis having played for them AND with my now being in/around West Virginia, I'm only two-three hours from Pittsburgh. And people *do* love their Pittsburgh sports around here. Plus, on a much more minor note, I've always found the skating penguin logo cute and the soaring penguin logo cool, even when I was hardly a hockey fan before 2002.

All of that said, I am really starting to get annoyed with those of my Caniac brethren who are wishing for the Penguins' leaving Pittsburgh over "the hit". What about those of us who like the Pens in addition to the Canes?!?! And there are plenty of us out there...be it through Ron Francis' 1998 exodus and/or the fact that some of us like having another team or two to cheer for, for reasons good, bad, and/or stupid.

Which leads me to...

2. This jewel of a quote by one Rod Brind'Amour:

"I mean, I have played 100 years and I've never run a guy from behind."

Don't make me laugh, Brindy-boy. As a former Philly Flyer enforcer, how can you have not played dirty in a game or two?! There is absolutely no way you can not play dirty on one of the dirtiest teams evah. And that said, all players are not perfect...hell, the Ronnie I keep mentioning AND practically worship actually got suspended for a couple a games back in either 1996 or 97 for boarding a Hab. So once again, don't make me laugh Brindy.

3. Not surprisingly, the ones making the most ruckus about this happen to be Erik Cole's largest fans.

Even though I am *very pleased* with the season Colesey's having AND would never wish a broken neck upon anyone, even my worst enemies...I feel like I am the only one who remembers a little something that happened at the beginning of a certain lockout...

http://stormbringer10.livejournal.com/67158.html

...yeah, I know that was a long time ago. But, the way Erik showed his ass that day AND during the lockout in general really made me much less fond of the guy, whom I've never really been all that super fond of anyway. And sometimes, I really don't know why.

Speaking of things others don't want to read...

4. I can't help but find some of the comments Net-wide about Brooks Orpik's punishment a wittle disturbing.

Don't get me wrong...I am all for defending the players on your favorite team AND I certainly don't like what Orpik did, BUT I am not going to AND never would resort to saying the following evil mentionings, even in jest...

http://mb3.scout.com/fcarolinacanesfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=5904.topic&start=21&stop=40

Fortunately, the comments I am referring to have been edited out in the above link...just look for the red moderator remarks. On the other hand, the one person who posted this...

WTF? I realize that we're all upset and on edge right now, but come on folks--posting Orpik's address and even joking about exacting some rough justice on him is a little beyond the pale, don't you think?

...turned around and posted this...

http://acidqueen5426.blogspot.com/2006/03/one-head-on-pike-please.html

HANGIN'S TOO GOOD FOR HIM! BURNIN'S TOO GOOD FOR HIM! HE SHOULD BE CHOPPED INTO ITSY BITSY PIECES AND BURIED ALIVE!

Le sigh.

And last, but most certainly not least...

5. After writing all of that, I have to admit that I did not see "The Hit".

That's right, I have yet to see it. But reading about it I have done...and I have done PLENTY of reading. I have read all sorts of MB comments and blog posts from the Canes side, the Pens side, AND the general side of the whole mess of a thing. And I have noticed something VERY INTERESTING: While the majority of the Canes side says "The Hit" was dirty/intentional and the Pens side not surprisingly say the opposite, the general side seems agree on the hit not being intentional...and, *gasp*, not just Orpik but Cole not helping matters much. What do I mean? Well, from the one or two pictures I have seen, Cole *did have his head down* when Orpik did his hit...and whenever you can help it or not, having your head down near the boards makes you *very vulnerable* to a head and/or neck injury. But, you're not going to hear that from a great chunk of the Canes fanbase...because afterall, Colesey is perfect and was having his best season evah.

Yeah, heaven and hell forbid that the franchise history perfect Canes actually make a mistake here and there. Which leads me to my biggest concern about the greatest season in WhalerCanes history: It is making the team and/or the fans a little bit full of themselves. If I posted all of this at a Canes board, I would be crucified because not only do I have the guts to criticize Cole, but also because while I don't like what Orpik did, I am not exactly ready to burn him at the stake/lynch him/tar and feather him/etcetera like quite a few supposedly more dignified Caniacs.

*whew!* So all of that said, I do think Orpik should get a suspension...yes, believe it or not, I *am* of that opinion. But at the same time, unlike a few, I am well aware that a suspension will not miraculously bring Erik Cole back to the ice in one day. I also think that, *gasp*, the team will actually be fine without Cole...afterall, there is still Staalsy, Brindy (even after my criticizing him...another thing that would have gotten me crucified), Whitney, and quite a few others.

And y'know, the fact that the Canes are not a one-person-team like so many are acting is a HUGE REASON behind their doing so damn well.
|

6 Comments:

Blogger mntineer said...

Hey, it's your blog, you're entitled to say anything you want! :-) Anyway, I did see the hit, and I feel Orpik had the time to lessen the blow of the check. But, he didn't, and I think he needs to pay the price of being a wannabe thug who took things too far.

5:14 PM  
Blogger The Acid Queen said...

As I said before:

One day I'll learn that my taste in movies and my sense of humor don't reach 99.9999999% of humanity.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Stormbringer said...

AQ: Oh....consider my link...um...advertising! Yeah, that's the ticket.

*runs*

6:24 PM  
Blogger HockeyKnight said...

Wow. I am really impressed with your opinion and I am really glad that you came down on the side of fairness.

This only increases my respect for you.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Stormbringer said...

Well, thank you Michael...I have to say that your words have made my evening. :)

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a huge Canes fan, I was upset about the hit..but more about the injury then whether it was clean or dirty or whatever. Cole did lose his footing with his face to the boards AND Orpik could have whoa'd it up a little.. so it was a Murphy's Law of hockey of wrong hit wrong place wrong time to cause a severe injury. I'm just thankful he's not paralyzed and itching to play again. 3 days might be a little light, but no need to ruin the guys career..even if he is a thug. Not all Carolinaians are blood thirsty... (well except if I get my hands on Scott Stevens..... lol)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home