Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Net of Stormbringer: Issue #19, Volume One

It's been a little while since my last hockey post...and I felt the following, posted in response to an entry at my friend, Michael's Confessions of A Hockey Fanatic, was quite suitable material...it helps to read that entry, about Michael's pick for the 2006 Stanley Cup ring-bearers, before proceeding further below, which is a little more cleaned up from the original words.
___________________________________________________________

Is Hasek even playing, though? I thought he was still out of commission with a groin injury...what else is new? *rolls her eyes*

I really cannot say if I agree with Ottawa...if Hasek stays out and Emery in, I don't see how the Spartacus' will last past the second round, if they can even get past the first. Hafta admit that I found the Tampa upset bid rather tempting...and have gone with it in both of the pools in which I'm participating. Especially considering how Ottawa has fallen to teams like the Leafs in the past Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Speaking of pools and those not likely to win the Cup...if it makes you feel any better, I really don't know what to think of the Canes' chances. Especially with their uber-crappy play as of late. In one pool, I chose the Canes in seven games. But in another, I chose the Habs. That series could truly go either way...AND if the Canes are still asleep, they are going to be dead meat IMHO. Even though the Canes *did* sweep the Habs during the regular season...that was when they had Jose "It's just hair medicine!!" Theodore. Montreal now has Huet in their deck, and he has proven to be quite an ace as of late. It'll be interesting to see how the Canes react to him.

Even if the Canes do eek it out of the First Round, I don't see them getting past the Second...even though I picked Tampa, I hope the Canes get Ottawa. The Canes and Sens matched up better in the regular season, as evidenced by the split 2-2 record. Canes and Bolts on the other hand...5-3? That's actually not as bad as I thought it was. But, I just still don't wanna face Tampa...

One more thing...I realized this: There is something the Canes do not have going for them that they had in 2002: Media hatred.

I know that sounds odd, but just follow me here...in 2002, everyone hated the Canes' guts because they were "that upstart team from the South" that was wrecking the Stanley Cup chances of "more worthy contenders" in New Jersey, Montreal, and Toronto. And what did the Canes do with such lemons as the articles, news reports, etc. that blasted them? They made lemonade out of it all, and poured it down the throats of not only those "more worthy" teams, but also the mediots backing those teams. And dagummit, while the Canes may not have won Lord Stanley's Prize, they made almost doing that a TON of fun because of what I just talked about, among other things.

This season's Canes have actually gotten the mediots on their side for once...hell, even Barry "Mullet Prince" (Jagr will always be the "King" in my book thanks to his Pens days) Melrose finds himself dancing to the Caniac beat lately, despite the fact that the Canes have not looked all that wonderful in the last month. As a matter of fact, my brother told me today (4/19) about how Melrose was constantly praising the Canes during SportsCenter's look at the Eastern Conference side of the playoffs...this was/is the same man who considered the Canes a joke during their 2002 run? I can't help but feel that, in addition to the other mediot praise, is going to make for bad mojo. Afterall, I don't think Melrose's track record of favorites picked to win the Cup actually winning Lord Stanley has been good.

But then again, I could very well be wrong...and believe it or not, I hope I am.
|

2 Comments:

Blogger HockeyKnight said...

Thank you. I appreciate the attention to my hockey blog post.

I truly hope that I didn't upset you about my cup favorites selection. I'll have you know - I won't be rooting against the Hurricanes, they're just not the odds on favorite right now.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Stormbringer said...

Thank you. I appreciate the attention to my hockey blog post.

You're very welcome. :) I thought it was quite a well done post...

I truly hope that I didn't upset you about my cup favorites selection. I'll have you know - I won't be rooting against the Hurricanes, they're just not the odds on favorite right now.

...and you have your reasons (good ones, I should note) for backing up the Sens. As I made clear in my response, I don't blame you for not picking the Canes...I'm not feeling all that great about them myself, even though I'll be pulling as hard as I can for 'em.

Hey, you could have picked worst teams to pull for...at least you didn't choose Philly or New York (Rangers). ;D

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home