Friday, May 26, 2006

"What's That There On Them Statues?! GIT IT OFF!!!!111!!11!!!1!"

http://mb3.scout.com/fcarolinacanesfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=6509.topic

Quite obviously, the nut, who knifed the jerseys off of the statues around the Capitol building in Raleigh (for those too lazy to check out the link), hates the Canes and hockey. No doubt that he's probably one of those "holier than thou Southerners" who cannot stand anything "Northern" invading "their territory"...

"He claimed that it was a procedural thing, since they didn't get permission from the Dept of Cultural Resources or whomever and nothing against the Canes."

Nothing against the Canes my ass!! If he had nothing against the Canes/hockey, the jerseys would still be on the statues.

It's one thing to simply not like a team and/or their sport, but it's another to take that just a little too far...

Current Music: "Daydream Believer" by The Monkees

Edit: Adding more salt to the wound, from this morning's Raleigh News and Observer...

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/443706.html

"My name is Zebulon Vance Stephenson III, so you know where I stand -- with Mr. Jones," said the Knightdale postal supervisor whose great-grandfather worked for Vance after the Civil War helping Confederate veterans find a job. "As for ice hockey, I look on it like I do a bowel movement -- this too shall pass."

Oh, how "Southern"...



Even though I understand featuring an opinion from the opposing side of the matter, did the N&O *really* have to include that quote in bold? How freakin' unnecessary can you get?!
|

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Did you read the whole story in the paper this morning? It's the quote at the end by the postal supervisor in Zebulon that pisses me off. The guy can't leave well enough alone.

"My name is Zebulon Vance Stephenson III, so you know where I stand -- with Mr. Jones," said the Knightdale postal supervisor whose great-grandfather worked for Vance after the Civil War helping Confederate veterans find a job. "As for ice hockey, I look on it like I do a bowel movement -- this too shall pass."

N&O Link

9:19 AM  
Blogger Stormbringer said...

Thanks to your link, I saw the article...what an effin' joke, the article AND the whole situation AND that quote. I e-mailed the article to both of my parents, pure Southerners for the most part AND not exactly the largest fans of the Canes in the universe (but they have been supportive enough of them this past season AND this current Cup run) AND told them to especially note Zebulon's remark. Both my mother and father said that they felt it was a *very crass* quote, and they couldn't believe that N&O allowed such tripe to be published. I believe that marks the first time in quite awhile that I've agreed with my parents on something about the Canes/hockey.

I don't know what I hate more about the whole statue brew-hah-hah...how this is giving the Buffoons more (beer)belly laughs OR how this is giving the (quite thankfully) small group of Confederate-wannabes the ample opportunity to bash "those damn old Dixie burners"...

...I'm all for living for the past on certain things, mostly entertainment and/or sports related. But there are some historical events that should NEVER be relived. And the Civil War is one of them big time.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home