Friday, September 08, 2006

Beach the Meetles!

I don't know how, but somehow, the recent fortieth anniversary of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds totally flew by me. Oh wait, I know how that happened...apart from "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "God Only Knows", and "Sloop John B", I've never really cared for Pet Sounds, as blasphemous as that sounds AND despite the fact that this music nut *does* heavily respect the Beach Boys.

The anniversary was supposedly a heavily celebrated event in the general blog world...BUT, I highly doubt that anyone else went any further in their festivities than one dude who decided to put together various tracks of vocal pieces from Pet Sounds combined with musical tracks from the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and vice-versa. I've only heard one track of
The Beachles' Sgt. Petsounds, specifically "God Only Knows What I'd Be Within You", and that may very well be enough...I still cannot decide if it's cool or frightening how perfectly the Boys' vocals mesh with George Harrison's sitar. o_O

Now that I think about it, Sgt. Petsounds wouldn't be too out of place in
The Residents' catalogue. I'm quite surprised that the band didn't beat Sgt. Petsounds' creator to such an idea.

Current Music: "God Only Knows What I'd Be Within You" by The Beachles (It's like curry...you don't know why you keep eating, or in this instance, listening to it, but you somehow keep doing so.)
|