Wednesday, February 07, 2007

February 6th, 2007 - Canes @ Canadiens: Random Musings and Observations

- At the risk of getting my hopes up a little early*, that "Fix the Canes" contest the Raleigh News and Observer started today/yesterday is going to get dated rather quickly if the Canes further extend the play they displayed in the Bell Centre tonight.

- I am more than convinced that hockey broadcasts are so much more fun when done in French. Just as long as Bobby Granger isn't
doing the translating...or the announcing.

- Even seeing the commercials done in Francais was a hoot...even though it was rather interesting in an ad or two to hear French being spoken, but also the background song's lyrics being in English. The ad *really* coming to mind in that regard being for a show/concert called "Piano Men" taking place somewhere in Montreal...the background song naturally being Billy Joel's** "Piano Man".

- The way Frankie Kaberle played tonight reminds me that I need to take him off of IR in a couple of a Fantasy Leagues.

- Well, if I am to believe
this, it sounds like I missed a good episode of House MD tonight, dagnabit.

Never fails...I get suckered into watching a rotten episode AND the Canes lose in the process. And then, I watch the Canes win AND miss a decent House in the process...I almost just can't win. ;)

Current Music: "First We Take Manhattan" by Leonard Cohen

* - The Canes taught me the hard way to not officially say they're back until they have won at least two-three games in a row...remember that successful Anaheim Duck hunt, AND THEN that New Year's buttkickin' by the Philly Flyboys? Um, yeah...

** - On YouTube, I recently discovered an awesome Billy Joel concert that should SO come to DVD...especially considering that it has some of the best damn songs in the pianist/keyboardist's catalogue...

"My Life"

"The Stranger"

"Movin' Out"

"Only The Good Die Young"

"Just The Way You Are"

And, saving the absolute best (IMnot-soHO) for last...

"Prelude/Angry Young Man"

"Scenes From An Italian Restaurant"

The only disappointment is that the concert doesn't feature "New York State of Mind", my new Billy Joel favorite over the past few weeks. But overall, very, VERY SWEET show...especially with "Prelude/Angry Young Man" and "Scenes...". Also, what a GREAT band Joel had then.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

|