Tuesday, July 17, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: The Canes Roll Out the "Welcome (Back) Matt!"

Ladies and gentlemen, *her voice suddenly gets deeper and takes on a Carribean accent* it is a beautiful day...yes, a beautiful day!! And that is because...as if one could not tell from the title...
MATT CULLEN IS RETURNING TO THE HURRICANES!!!

"Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired center Matt Cullen from the New York Rangers in exchange for defenseman Andrew Hutchinson, forward Joe Barnes and a third round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft."

As much as I have knocked Mr. Rutherford around for "reunion moves/trades" since last year, *this* is a good reunion move. As opposed to the others being for guys from 2002-03, this one is not only for a guy from the FAR BETTER 2005-06 season, but also a guy who is EASILY the best thing the Canes have ever had going for them shootout-wise thus far.

God, it feels good to finally laud Jimmy for a GREAT move instead of the complete opposite...'cause really, I am not *that bad* a fan AND person. I just want to see some good moves made and/or players coming to my most beloved NHL team.
And I certainly know I am not the only one...
_____________________________________________________

Speaking of former Canes players returning...you know it is a slow news day at the Raleigh News and Observer
when they decide to touch upon the fact that the Raleigh/Durham/general Triangle area is, *gasp*, home to celebrities!! As I found out from here.

It is certainly one of those 'don't get me wrong' sort of things...while I am glad to be informed on and off of how my birth/original home area has become quite the hotbed for my most favorite of sports, at the same time, I think articles like the one I've linked to are unnecessary. Especially in regards to celebs, like the ones mentioned in that particular article, having a hard enough time finding at least a little privacy as it is.

Though, despite my saying that, I cannot help but touch upon something I read at that Score Boards link...

"I think Tom Barrasso can be added to the list. He was in town looking for a house around Wake Forest. He wants his kids to go to school here."

I certainly hope Mr. Barrasso is looking into sending his kids to a private school or two instead of what Wake Forest has to offer on the public school route. Being a former Wake Forest area public school pupil, I know of what I speak...and you more prudish readers may want to briefly look away because I just cannot say this in a mild manner: Wake Forest area public schools SUCK. With maybe, MAYBE an exception or two or three, since I am talking about AND went to WF Elementary, WF-Rolesville Middle, and WF-R High...never had the opportunity to attend the Wakefield complex, despite the fact that it was closer to my family and I's house. But anyway, from what I have heard lately, at least one of the schools I attended is not getting any better...specifically WF Elementary, which is possibly getting ready to lose its Magnet School status (scroll down to "You have to pull in magnet status debate").

Current Music: "Es Solo Musica" by Mamborama

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

|