Thursday, November 17, 2005

I Want A Kitty!!

I'm seriously thinking about, no, I am *really wanting* to join the cat owner ranks. Especially after today...I saw the most adorable and elegant black cat (with a few white hairs, not a patch, ten-twenty white hairs on its chest) up for adoption at Paradise Pets, the local pet store here in Bluefield. She (I think it was a she...certainly seemed to be from what I could see and tell ;) ) was the most playful thing, with quite a lovely attitude to boot. Because of that attitude, I'm not holding my breath on that particular cat being available to adopt by the time I am able to adopt one. But, regardless of the cat I eventually adopt, I'm certainly more hyped up about wanting a kitty-kins. :)

So, I got a few questions for all of the cat owners here (and I know there are quite a few)...

1. Are there any downsides to adopting?

I *really* don't think there are any...but I thought I would ask anyway. As I noted above, I paid attention to the cats at the pet store's health and behavior. Also, the cages were very well kept and clean, as were the cats and dogs up for adoption. Overall, I liked the conditions I saw.

Also, the evenings I've gone to a Mexican restaurant next door, I have noticed that they'll let a cat or two out to walk around the store. That gets points in my book too.

2. Would I be making a mistake having a cat and a Miniature Dachshund in the same house? Is it possible to get the two used to one another?

As I've mentioned before here, I have a male Mini Dachsie named Chaz. He's a somewhat wild thing...particularly acting wild when we have the renovators in/at the house or company we do not have too often and/or are not interactive with Chaz. Whenever that is the case, or my folks are gone, Chaz loves to stay and sleep in my room, where my cat will stay at least 75-90% of the time. Which leads to what I think is the biggest problem and obstacle in my wanting a cat.

3. What cat items (specifically toys, beds, and food/water dishes), foodstuffs (including treats), litter, etc. would you most recommend?

More of a general "feel for it all" question. I plan to get a book ASAP and have been looking at numerous websites tonight. I *think* I have somewhat an idea of what would be good. But, being a beginner, I'd like to get an opinion from those who are experienced. :)
|

1 Comments:

Blogger d-lee said...

Most cats, especially kittens, will sleep wherever they feel like it. They'll most likely prefer one of your towels or a sweatshirt to a "cat bed". You'd be wasting your money on that.

My experience has been that cats will prefer to drink from the faucet in the tub or in your bathroom sink, if it drips. If not, my cat has always liked to drink from a juice glass rather than a water dish. I don't know why.

You will need a scratching post, a water gun to squirt bad kitty with (it only works if you make it seem like "the hand of god").

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home