Sunday, March 19, 2006

I Guess I Am Now Truly An "Official West Virginian"...

...why do I say that? Well, as of today, I am the proud owner of one of the most traditional of mountain folk musical instruments: the Thumb Piano.

As dorky as the name sounds, a Thumb Piano is actually a neat and beautiful sounding instrument. I already sense great potential with the songs the baby I have can sing. Hey, if according to the booklet I got with the (eleven key/note) Thumb Piano, I can (eventually) play "The Sounds of Silence" and "Theme from The Godfather", then I can go places with other tunes. Especially considering how well I can pick out certain songs by ear on a regular piano/keyboard.

I've been wanting a Thumb Piano ever since I first laid eyes upon them at Tamarack, the West Virginia craft store in Beckley. This particular one I got for $26, which is a pretty damn good price for something, especially hand-crafted, from Tamarack.
|

5 Comments:

Blogger HockeyKnight said...

*warning!!! warning!! a completely tasteless and crass joke can be found within this comment*

(okay... you were warned!)
>
>
>
>
>
So, who was the lucky one who got your West Virginity?

hahahahahahahahahahaha!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Stormbringer said...

Michael!!

Obviously, somebody is more than just a little giddy over the fact that little ol' Bradley beat the big and mighty Pittsburgh Panthers today. ;D

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you Penn Staters *do* consider Pitt a rival, right? :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger HockeyKnight said...

Yes, Penn Staters do consider Pitt a rival, but it's more passionate with trash talk among Pitt students. I guess they just get envous that they couldn't get into the better school.

I've seen it in a lot of the athletes and club sports. They still play men's basketball cause they know a lot of Pittsburghers will make the trip out to see the game and the campus gets really crowded.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Stormbringer said...

I was wondering about that...'cause I'm sure it is hard to maintain a rivalry with Pitt in the Big East and Penn State in the Big Ten (or actually Eleven, but that apparently is just not as catchy). I *still* wish Pitt OR EVEN Penn State* had come to the ACC instead of Boston College. Even though I realize it is all about the area with the better ratings (and football team), Pitt or Penn State would have made more sense with the region.

Of course, whenever I think of Penn State, I think of when the Lions beat my UNC Tar Heels** in the NCAA a few years ago. But unlike my brother, I don't go ape over stuff like that...not unless it involves Dook. ;D

* - A thought I just had...if Penn State came to the ACC, it would have brought the "Big Eleven" back to the Big Ten.

** - Before you say anything, I was named "Caroline" after UNC/Carolina. And, I had a "Ram-bunctious" shirt when I was little. :D

8:54 PM  
Blogger HockeyKnight said...

Yea... Penn State considers their biggest rivals to be Ohio State and Michigan.

ACC is a "southern conference" just like the SEC. I suppose getting Boston College was an attempt to get out of that stereotype and be for all of the Atlantic Coast. I guess BC just went to secure their rivalry with Miami.

Keep up the good work there, "Sweeeeet Caroline"!

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home