Sunday, June 25, 2006

Jimmy Buffett Canes Shirts?

http://mb3.scout.com/fcarolinacanesfrm1.showMessage?topicID=6880.topic

Hey, why not? Raleigh *does* have a HUGE Parrothead fanbase, afterall.

I'm not a huge Buffett fan, but I cannot deny how good and fun some of his songs were/are...particularly "Cheeseburger In Paradise", "Volcano", "Margaritaville", and "Changes In Lattitudes"...the latter's lyrics I've actually got/had a shirt mentioning. I loved that shirt and actually wore it in middle school, though I was probably the only one who knew the shirt's significance and/or where the words on its back came from.

The only change I'd make to DiamondDan's suggestion? Have the shirts feature the last names OR nicknames of the Canes instead of the first names. I realize he probably said that with the Adams family in mind, but people tend to remember and/or refer to the last names/nicknames of athletes more than the first names. But, just my shave, haircut, and two bits.

Another Jimmy Buffett memory while I'm thinking about it: I don't know about now, but a few years ago, Buffett tickets would sell out within an hour, if not faster in the Triangle area. Back when WRDU 106.1 was good, one evening, one of the DJs decided to make fun of the Buffett Raleigh/Triangle ticket sales phenomenon. So he called up TicketMaster, and doing his best Apu impression, the DJ proceeded to p*ss off the female TicketMaster worker, who told him a thousand times that the Buffett tix were sold out, by constantly stating how he had 200-300 family members coming from India AND that they *had* to absolutely see Jimmy Buffett AND that nothing else would do for their family reunion celebration.

Maybe it *really* helped that I was 12-13 years old at the time, but I'll be darned if that was not some of the funniest crap I have ever heard on a radio.

* - You could tell that the woman was trying to stifle laughing, but was overall ticked about being bothered like that.


Current Music: "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" by Elton John
|