Thursday, October 20, 2005

What's Happening?

Well...

- Yours truly officially has a new job...cowgirl. Seriously. This past Monday, my family and I had two cattle, specifically steers (I.E. males without horns), brought up to our somewhat new mountainside home and farm. My job is to feed them and help maintain the pasture and farm, once the friend who's helping us get started tames one of the cows. The two steers are an Angus (pure black) and an Angus/Hereford mix (Black with a white face...the black coming from the Angus mother/father and the white face coming from the Hereford parent). While the black steer is very calm and docile, the white-faced steer is the wild one...thanks to its nudging its way through the pasture fence/gate, enabling it and the pure Angus to escape Monday, I can joke that on my first day on the job as a cowgirl, I lost the cattle. Can't *really* joke about that in front of Dad and his friend, though, because they had the fun of chasing the cattle down to another cattle farm at the bottom of the mountain.

If it weren't for the cattle's fate in a few months, I would be (and am) highly tempted to name the Angus "Ronnie", and the Angus/Hereford either "Jeff" or "Jaromir". Fellow Canes and Pens fans will know what I am talking about... ;)

- I love this month...it heralds Fall/Autumn, my most favorite season (besides hockey season, of course), AND my most favorite holiday in Halloween (not only because it's my birthday). But, it turns out that my most favorite holiday is making me a bit teed off with Little Buddy Radio as of late. How should I put the following? I know, I'll do a cool/uncool thing...

Cool: Playing songs like "Thriller", "Theme From Ghostbusters", "Spooky", "Tubular Bells" (I.E. "Theme From The Exorcist"), "Everyday Is Halloween", "Monster Mash", etc. I can think of a few more LBR-friendly songs that could be played like "Weird Science". But overall, it's not a bad selection of "normal" Halloween songs...certainly better than most, if not all other stations outside of LBR.

Uncool: Playing Kidz Bop crap. Even typing the following out makes me wanna barf..."Three Little Witches" (a ripoff of "Three Little Indians"), "This Is Halloween" (sung to a "Carol of the Bells"-like tune), and the worst one of them all, "Theme From the Addams Family". I'm sure the kids singing did/do not know what "petite" means. Hell, given the sad state of affairs with overall intelligence in this country and world, there's probably a ghastly number of people who do not know what "petite" means. Anyhoo, while I am all for Halloween being a holiday for children as much as anyone else, the Kidz Bop stuff does not belong anywhere outside of automobile tape/CD decks. Hearing it all makes even the kid inside yours truly cringe.

Other than that LBR, you are doing a good job...

- Guess what I got as an early birthday gift? Only the best gift for a hockey nut...Center Ice!! :D And gawd, I'm loving every minute of it. Especially the Canadian feeds...just as I expected all along, they know how to do hockey coverage in the Great White North. Not to mention how they got some dang good ad agencies up there. I've seen more ads that have amused me from Canada than elsewhere lately. The weirdest ads I've seen have been from the western side of the States...specifically the ad for Jack In The Box. In that, a dude in nothing but his BVDs is jumping around like a complete nutcase outside of a JITB. The JITB mascot comes up to the guy, and says something along the lines of "Dude, put some pants/shorts on.".* What, in all of Dante's nine hells, does THAT have to do with a fast food outlet, aside from taking place outside of one?! Incredibly weird what some people think constitutes a good ad campaign these days...

* - Admittingly, I may have gotten a detail or two wrong, since I was at my computer when the JITB ad embraced my TV's monitor. But, I think I saw more than enough of it...
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home